Environmental Policy Statement
We shall strive to incorporate sustainability into our core operations through internal and external efforts. Specifically, we shall adopt the following policies and practices:
- Conserve energy, water, and natural resources.
- Commit to purchasing environmentally preferable products.
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
- Promote environmental education, outreach and awareness to our staff, clients and the greater community.
- Promote paperless transactions with clients and maintain a paperless record keeping database for all client and office documentation.
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
We shall –
- Reduce our waste stream by increasing our recycling and composting capabilities to 85% diversion from the landfill.
- Strive to increase waste diversion by recycling all paper, cardboard, wood, metals, bottles, plastics, packaging and cans.
- Compost all food and landscape waste.
- Eliminate individual, single-use bottles of water for employees and clients in our office environment.
- Replace aerosol products with pump-dispensed ones.
- Discourage the use of disposable products by using washable/reusable items.
- Reduce the waste generated by donating reusable office items (appliances, electronic equipment, computers, printers and furniture) to charitable organizations.
- Reuse envelopes and packaging.
- Promote the use of natural lighting and solar energy, where feasible.
- Institute a policy to turn off lighting and appliances in unoccupied rooms.
- Conserve water with the installation of ultra-low flow and/or dual flush toilets, plant native drought tolerant plants and use water-conserving irrigation systems.
We shall reduce the use of toxic materials to protect employee and client health and the environment. Specifically, we shall:
- Purchase low to non-toxic janitorial cleaning products (only those approved for use by the CA Green Business Program). Certified by Green Seal, UL Ecologo, EPA Safer Choice or a GoodGuide.com score of 8+.
- Switch to recycled content products, materials, and supplies when available.
- Purchase Low VOC paints, markers, and non-toxic air fresheners.
- Recycle universal wastes (electronics, batteries, fluorescent light tubes, used motor oil) and prohibit purchasing materials that may lead to hazardous waste generation.
- Purchase rechargeable batteries and appliances only.
- Promote storm water pollution prevention and source control.
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
We shall purchase/use the following:
- Printer/copier paper with a minimum of 30% post-consumer waste (PCW).
- Remanufactured and refillable toner cartridges.
- Kitchen and bathroom paper with recycled content (50% minimum).
- Products with the least packaging (no plastic, polystyrene or aerosol packaging).
- Recycled content-containing office furniture and supplies.
- Refillable bottles, canvas bags, and reusable to-go containers.
- LED lighting and Energy Star appliances and electronics.
- Water efficient toilets, showerheads and faucet aerators.
Conserve Fossil Fuels
We shall conserve fossil fuels by:
- Encouraging the use of public transit.
- Promoting biking to work and carpooling.
- Offering telecommuting options.
We shall strive to build and remodel using LEED green building standards.
We shall educate employees and clients on resource conservation and pollution prevention through:
- Hosting only zero waste events i.e. ensuring that little to no waste is generated during work parties, picnics, and meetings. Ask caterers to use reusable everything, buy reusable trays, etc.
- Training programs or brown bag sessions to educate employees on proper recycling & composting practices, resource conservation ideas, the importance of low-toxic purchasing etc.
- Providing incentives for environmentally preferable practices such as recycling champion, transit hero, etc.
- Informing staff of environmental issues in company emails, training materials, staff meetings.
Through the course of our work, we shall endeavor to promote these policies to other companies, organizations, and individuals.